Posted on August 26 by Molly Gregor on newjerseybride.com
We’re always in search of the best planning advice, wedding advice and relationship advice. So when I stumbled upon this blog this week from Dave Willis, I knew that this was great marriage advice. Dave Willis is one of the most popular relationship bloggers, the founder of strongermarriages.org with his wife Ashley, and a pastor in Augusta, Georgia. He’s acquired these tips during his 15-year marriage, and I love that they’re simple, practical, straight-forward and ring true! Here, give them a read and discuss with your fiancé as you’re getting closer and closer to your wedding. These tips can only strengthen your marriage…
The Best Marriage Advice
1. Choose to love each other even in those moments when you struggle to like each other. Love is a commitment, not just a feeling.
2. Always answer the phone when your husband/wife is calling and when possible, try to keep your phone off when you’re together with your spouse.
3. Make time together a priority. Budget for a consistent date night. Time is the “currency of relationships” so consistently invest time into your marriage. There are no shortcuts. Building a strong marriage takes time.
4. Your friends will impact your marriage, so choose your friends wisely. Surround yourself with friends who will strengthen your marriage and remove yourself from people who may tempt you to compromise your character.
5. Make laughter the soundtrack of your marriage. Share moments of joy, and even in the hard times, find reasons to laugh.
6. In every argument, remember that there won’t be a “winner” and a “loser.” You are partners in everything so you’ll either win together or lose together. Work together to find a solution.
7. Remember that a strong marriage rarely has two strong people at the same time. It’s usually a husband and wife taking turns being strong for each other in the moments when the other feels weak.